Sunday 26 January 2014

Removing Old Powder Coat & Paint

The replacement cam cover arrived last week, it came complete with a cam position sensor and a set of seals. First job was to remove the paint, which came off easily with very little trouble at all.

I then shot blasted the engine casings that had previously been painted orange and were on my RPE engine. The paint came off much more slowly as it had been undercoated and had been baked on, but  after taking my time I removed the paint back to the bare aluminium.

Removal of powder coat from the other set of casings was far more difficult. The shot blasting hardly touched the powder coat surface and would take weeks to remove this way. I tried a few different methods, from scraping to softening with acetone and then finally burning off the powder coat with a blow torch and then shot blasting off the burnt deposits. 

Now that the casings are clean, I can try out the powder coating kit. I should be getting a second hand oven dropped off this week. 












No comments:

Post a Comment